FanDuel started its life not as a fantasy sports site, but as a web-based prediction market game called Hubdub. After securing $1.2 million in VC funding from Pentech Ventures and Scottish Enterprise, the company’s owners made perhaps the best decision of their career – repurposing thing the site to capitalize on the burgeoning DFS industry.
On July 21, 2009, the company launched the FanDuel website, and quickly raised $4 million from previous investors and Piton Capital. In September 2014, the company went on to raise another $70 million from Shamrock Capital Advisors, NBC Sports Ventures and KKR.
FanDuel’s player base exploded during that period, with player payouts jumping from $10 million in 2011 to a massive 400 million in 2014. The site is by far the market leader in the DFS realm, boasting the biggest player pools and guaranteed payouts in the industry.
Game Options and Payout Structures
FanDuel offers contests for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and CBB games. Players can take their pick from the following formats:
- Head-to-head: Just as the name implies, two players go toe-to-toe, with the winner taking home all of the cash, minus the rake. In 2013, FanDuel added the Head-to-Head Matrix format, which allows users to diversify their play by combining 20 H2H entries into one buy-in.
- Leagues: In this format, players can create their own custom leagues by setting the size, entry fee and prize structure of its contests.
- 50/50s: In 50/50s, the winning half of the field is paid double its buy-in while the rest go home empty-handed.
- Tournaments: FanDuel’s massive player base allows it to offer users huge Guaranteed Prize Pools (GPPs) for a small entry fee. If you’re looking for an overlay here, however, you’ll likely be disappointed.
FanDuel’s cashier can be accessed through the “My Account” option in the main navigation menu. The site accepts deposits via Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards, along with PayPal. Withdrawals are processed through PayPal within 48 hours, or by check, which takes around 7-10 business days. The minimum deposit is $10, while the minimum withdrawal is just $1. FanDuel absorbs all of the payment processing costs, which means that users are not charged a fee to deposit or withdrawal.
Other options like viewing your transaction history, checking notifications, and reviewing your FanDuel points and referral links are all easily accessible from the “My Account” page.
FanDuel Sign-Up Bonus
Presently, new users receive a 100% deposit bonus up to $200 through publications like RotoGrinders. The bonus is released relatively slowly, hitting accounts at a rate of 4% of entry fees paid. Therefore, to clear the entire $200 Bonus, a user would need to have paid $5,000 in entry fees. While at first it might seem like a large number, the good thing is that you can take your time – FanDuel’s first time deposit bonuses never expire, so you’ll have plenty of time to chip away at it.
- Web browser: FanDuel software is available directly through any web browser, and is accessible via PC or Mac computers. The site boasts a responsive design which optimizes the viewing experience on devices including smart phones and tablets.
- Mobile client: FanDuel sports a superbly-designed mobile app for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The app supports nearly all of the options available on the browser-based client, offering the ability to enter and edit lineups, view live scoring and recent contests, make multiple entries, deposit, withdrawal and view your account history.
Where is FanDuel Legal?
While Daily Fantasy Sports is considered a game of skill in most US states, the company’s legal team believes that the legality of the industry is unclear in Arizona, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana and Washington. For that reason, only free play games are offered to users playing from those areas.
- FanDuel Points (FDP): Players earn FDPs any time they enter a real money game; these points can be used to buy into leagues, tournaments or FDP freerolls.
- Refer-a-friend: Users can earn up to 35% of the contest fees generated by their referred players. FanDuel provides a backend referral center where users can track the earnings of their referrals.
- Sign-Up Bonus: Upon signing up for a new account, users receive a 100% deposit bonus up to $200.
- Weekly Depositors Freeroll: Every Saturday, all users who have made deposits during the week receive an entry into a $1,000 freeroll.
FanDuel’s clean and easy-to-use software, along with its mobile and iOS platforms make signing up, creating lineups and cashing out a snap. The company’s willingness to experiment with new features, along with its large player pools, no fee banking, and promos are just some of the reasons that FanDuel remains the market leader in the DFS industry.